TibKat's Insight's

Friday, April 14, 2006

Choices


It’s been a few days since I’ve had something I've felt of value that I have wanted to share with you all. Life can sure get busy with out even noticing it. Yesterday, I received one of the nicest e-mails from my best friend in Salt Lake. It got me contemplating my value in friends to my value in family. Are they different?

My two closest friends live in two separate states, I spend about the same amount of time with them, regardless of this fact and because of whom they choose to be and because of their value they have for life and family I feel truly honored to have them in my life.

A friend is a choice;
you both must make the choice in order for it to be a true friendship.

My family, complicated would be an understatement. I have seven siblings and a mother and father who divorced my senior year in high school. When I was a kid I always believed that family is just family, no “choice” involved. Basically you’re “stuck” with whoever you got.

This is where I have been wrong. I have met people in my life who have had estranged relationships with their family members. Who have actually hadn’t spoken with a sibling or a mother or father in five or ten years. This had always baffled me. Why and not only why but How did this end up this way? I never understood it. My family has always been so close knit, I never thought in a billion years we would be that family. But everyone has a choice, even families.

Practically when I was born I had chosen my husband Jim. It wasn’t until about two years ago that we once again chose to be with each other, forever. He is my family. I value this more each day I live.

I will never again feel stuck with my family as I did when I was an adolescent. I choose each of them to be in my life, always. I love and value them dearly. We all have faults and your family is always the first to point them out. Through the years we each have put each other through some rough times by the choices we have made; I know I have had my share in this. We may not always see eye to eye on everything but what we do, regardless, we are always loved. Through all the hurt and pain, happy and sad, good or bad, I will always love my family.

I choose each one of you. Thank you for being my friend and family.

"A possiblity was born the day you were born and it will live as long as you live."
Marcus Solero
posted by TRACI at 6:36 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home