TibKat's Insight's

Friday, April 21, 2006

Happy Birthday Grandpa


There is nothing in this world that smells better to me then the rain falling on the desert floor. On this day, April 21, 2006, my grandfather, Roy Smith would be 102. It is because of this amazing man that I love this desert and why my husband and I live here.

The picture above is of my Nanny and Grandpa, they were a "Movie Star" quality couple! My Nanny and Grandpa moved to Black Canyon City, AZ in 1972. They spent most of their remaining years under the landscape of black lava mountains and Saguaro cactuses. They took the four oldest grand kids; this included me, on countless camping trips when we were kids. I remember going fishing for the first time with my Grandpa, not actually me fishing but at least being out in his boat while he fished.

My grandfather had working hands. They were strong, hard and callused. But when I held his hand I always felt safe as if nothing in the world would or could harm me because he was by my side.

My grandfather was a protector of rattle snake attacks, a carpenter; you could always find him down in “the shop”, a hunter, a father and a husband to my Nanny for nearly 63 years. He helped build countless schools, buildings and homes including their own. He worked on the Hoover Dam and also Route 66. He taught my older brothers how to shoot a gun and how to drive his truck, (right into their pump house). Logan, afterwards, spent countless hours repairing it with him … silly Logan. He was a man I always looked up too, even as a small child and to this day he lingers in my dreams at night.

My mother was their only child, and it seemed by “accident”. My Nanny always told us that she wanted five children but that Father didn’t want any so she was so grateful that they had my mother. You never would have believed this tale, my Grandpa loved my mother more then anything in this world. He had countless tales of her growing up with him at her side.

I remember standing in his shop on a beautiful hot Arizona day and telling my sister and me about a hunting trip he took my mother on when she was about our age. They came upon a clearing in the forest and there in the distance stood a beautiful 4 point Buck. With rifle in her hand he told my sister and I how he had lined up the shot for my mother perfectly. As she pulled back the trigger and shot the rifle she closed her eyes only wounding the buck and leaving my Grandpa to finish the job.

Two funny things about this story for me; one, my mother with a rifle in her hand and two, my grandfather close to twenty years later going on about my mother with even her eyes closed making the shot. He was a proud man.

Happy Birthday Grandpa, we miss you and Nanny both.
posted by TRACI at 11:31 AM

2 Comments:

Gawl Traci!

I am work here... you makie me cry at workie!!!

Shame, shame!

I love Nanny and Grandpa so much. I just wish that I as many memories of Grandpa in comparison to Nanny! I still miss the both just as equally.

S*

1:42 PM  

It's nice to know that precious memories of loved ones linger long after the loved ones are gone. Indelible marks are left from small and ordinary events that often color our lives forever. Cherish those memories and build new ones of your own. Our time here is short.

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home